Thursday, December 1, 2011

Flipped Classroom


This year I learned about flipped classrooms and I made an effort to try to flip my classroom as well. I began recording videos of myself explaining content for students to watch on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/edwardslearninglab .




 However, while I enjoy making videos, I know that there are many great videos already on YouTube. I began creating playlists with these videos for students. However, some students did not have Internet access and others were not able to watch the videos. To encourage more students to watch the videos, I created online assignments with embedded videos. The students have to answer questions about the content in the video. To accommodate students with limited Internet access, I give students a week to complete the assignment. While this is not a true flipped classroom, I have found this works well for my students. I try to make watching the videos an active process by assigning a few questions with the videos, but use class time for practice and hands-on activities. I realize that "the flip" is a long-term process and I am giving myself permission to learn and grow.

1 comment:

  1. What you described above is a great example of how a flipped classroom can be adapted to meet YOUR learner's needs. It is all about the ideology of using technology to help move some content so you can spend more time working WITH the kids in the class. It does get better with experience, but it always begins with one, small step.

    Thanks for sharing your story and I hope it continues to go well-
    Brian

    ReplyDelete